June 21, 2008

Very, Very, SAD...

Warning: This is a really sad post. And a very long post. (sorry)

After school a friend invited Bryer over to play, and when I dropped him off, I ended up visiting with the mom for over 2 hours. This was the first time I had really talked to her. It was a very nice conversation, and we talked about everything. I ended up really knowing a lot about her by the time I left. I ended up leaving 3 of my kids to play, so later I took pizza back over, so she wasn't feeding half my family. I asked her how much longer she wanted them to play, and she said until about 9:00 pm. Well...about 7:30, Bryer called and told me to come and pick them up. I asked what happened and he just said again to come and pick them up. So I did, and when I got there, the mother was out on the drive way just pacing back and forth. I just thought that the kids had drove her baserk. But when I got out of the car, she told me that her son went into lake Meridian and didn't come out. Her husband was down at the lake looking for him, along with divers and such. I don't know a lot of the details, except the friend that was with him got to the house and he was crying and saying how he couldn't save him. The mom was praying out loud and pretty much not coherent to what I was saying. When I first got there and she told me what happened, I gave her a hug, and she almost collapsed in my arms. I tried to get her to sit down, but she just couldn't. When the husband got home, he said they found their son, and they had a pulse. That is basically all I heard. Everyone started scrambling to get to cars to get to the hospital. They were trying to figure out what to do with their 3 younger boys, so I offered to take them to my house. I gave my number to 3 different people, so someone could get a hold of me with updates. The first update was ok. He had a heartbeat and they were taking test. Since the boys had been at my house, they were having a pretty hard time, so I told them the first update and that seemed to help make them feel better. Then I got a second update, and it wasn't good at all. I guess the boy was under the water for too long and he is basically brain dead. I am not going to tell the boys that update. I wouldn't be able to. They have already cried enough, and I don't think it is my place to tell them that kind of news. They are all spending the night at my house, and we will see what happens tomorrow.

This whole experience has been so emotional. I have never been in a situation like this before. I felt helpless and heartbroken. I want to be able to tell these boys that their brother is going to be just fine, but he is not. They are all so close in age and friendship.

Also, they are not LDS, and don't understand that they will see their son or brother again. As I was watching this happen, things were going through my mind that I could tell her about giving their son a blessing, or about eternal life, but of course I didn't say anything. I didn't feel it appropriate at the moment.

Anyway...I just wanted to share this experience with you all. Sorry, for the sad story. And pray for the family to be able to handle whatever way this story will end for them. Whether good or bad.

PS. Just got another update. He is staying alive only because of machines. It doesn't sound good.

3 comments:

Tina said...

M-L! How sad! How old is this boy? That is horrible! Sounds like you were an angel to be there for her and to help her. Keep us updated.

Kari V. said...

WOW. I don't know what I would do. I always worried about Lake meridian because the water is so murky and stuff. I am so glad you talked to this family today.
Prayers will go out for this family....big hugs.

THanks for helping them also...

Ashley said...

It sounds like it was such a help for this family that you were able to take their other children for the night. That is such a sad, hard thing. Maybe you can become good friends with her and share some of the comforting things we know. I will keep this family in my thoughts and prayers.

MerriLynns music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Our Seattle Adventures